Yes, firstly you should contact the repairer in question and tell them of the problems you are experiencing; they should make arrangements for your vehicle to go back to them for the work to be rectified. If you are still not happy you can contact Coplus on 0344 381 4462.

This depends on a number of factors. You must make a claim through your own policy and have comprehensive cover. You would then receive a courtesy car providing you use the approved repairer, subject to availability and only for the duration of the repairs. If your vehicle is written off, a courtesy car would not be provided.

Should you need to make a claim please contact our claims handling service operated by Coplus on 0344 381 4462. The lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Their specialist team will guide you through the claims process from start to finish.

Correspondence should be forwarded to Coplus:

HIC Motor Claims
Floor 2
Norfolk Tower
48-52 Surrey Street

Your Insurer will arrange payment direct with an approved repairer or garage of your own choice. Costs are agreed before work is authorised and you would be expected to pay your policy excess directly to the garage once repairs are complete. If you are claiming using your legal cover you may be able to claim back your excess but should discuss this with your claims handler.
No, there are no costs at all as the Legal Expenses Policy is free of charge and will cover all costs for assistance in claiming from a third party up to a limit of £100,000 for claims from 4th October 2010. Claims before this date had a limit of £50,000.

Exchange full details with any other party involved ensuring you note their registration number and then contact our claims handling service operated by Coplus on 0344 381 4462. They can be contacted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you have to make a claim from your policy then your excess is payable. You may be able to reclaim this, depending on the circumstances. Your claims handler will advise you how to proceed and whether you should be able to reclaim your excess.
Please call us first so that we can provide you with an estimated cancellation refund. Some policies do not allow any refund upon cancellation. Normally it is more cost effective to keep your policy running. If you wish to cancel your policy, your Insurer will only cancel the policy from the date the received the return of your instructions and your policy documents including the Certificate of Motor Insurance. Please accompany these with a covering letter providing your reason for cancellation.

We are committed to providing a quality service and achieving the highest standards of conduct. One of the ways in which we can continue to improve our service is by listening to the views of our customers. We aim to ensure that:

  1. making a complaint is as easy as possible;
  2. we treat as a complaint any clear expression of dissatisfaction with our service which calls for a response;
  3. we treat all complaints seriously;
  4. we deal with it promptly, politely and without unnecessary delay;
  5. we respond in the right way - for example with an explanation or an apology where we have got things wrong, or information on any action taken etc;
  6. we learn from complaints and use them to improve our service.

You can contact us by:

  • Phone: 0344 381 6530 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5:30pm (excluding bank holidays)
  • Email:
  • Writing to:
    Customer Care,
    2 The Causeway,
    Bishop's Stortford,
    CM23 2EJ.

Upon receiving your complaint we will:

  1. acknowledge receipt within 5 working days;
  2. if resolved with you within 3 working days send you a summary resolution confirmation;
  3. provide you with the name and job title of the person dealing with your complaint;
  4. within 4 weeks of receiving your complaint, send you either a final response or provide you with an update on progress and confirm when we anticipate being able to make further comment;
  5. within 8 weeks from the date your complaint was received by us, either:
    1. provide you with our final response;
    2. where this is not possible, you will be advised of the action that is outstanding and when you can expect to hear from us again and who you should contact in the meantime.
  6. If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint or have subsequently decided that you are dissatisfied with a resolution, you may refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service on the details below. We would like to take this opportunity to advise you that they are not able to consider your complaint until you have first attempted to resolve it with us.

    Financial Service Compensation Scheme (FSCS): We are covered by the FSCS. You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if we cannot meet our obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim. Insurance advising and arranging is covered for 100% of the first £2,000 and 90% of the remainder of the claim without any upper limit. Further information about compensation scheme arrangements is available from the FSCS website

If you have stated that you are using your No Claims Bonus then you will need to send us proof of this from your previous insurer immediately.
Some insurers will take this into consideration and allow an enhanced introductory discount.
No claims bonus can only be used on one policy at the same time so ensure that your previous policy is either cancelled, or you have requested that the no claims bonus has been removed from the policy. In either case your Insurers should provide you with some proof as to your no claims entitlement, for example a renewal notice or a cancellation schedule. As long as they show your entitlement you can forward these onto us as your proof of no claims bonus. Alternatively, complete the form provided and we will attempt to contact your previous Insurers for the no claims bonus proof for you. If your quote was based on you having no claims bonus on your first vehicle please either provide written proof from your Insurers, or complete the form (as above). It is less likely that we will be able to obtain the proof verbally though, as your other policy will still be running.
You may have had a company car for the last few years and this is your first policy 'on your own'. If this is the case, your no claims bonus would have been earned on the company car. We can allow a discount on our policies for this, but would just need to see proof from your company. This generally is provided in the form of a letter from the Insurers of the vehicle, or a letter from your Company stating the dates that you had the vehicle from and to, and that you had no claims during that time period.

Over the years, HIC have insured thousands of vehicles for their owners. As a result of this we have built long-standing relationships with several insurance companies.

When taking out a policy, you will often be asked to submit some or all of the following paperwork:

  • A copy of the driving licence for all drivers on the policy
  • A completed proposal form
  • A form detailing all modifications
  • Proof of your no-claims bonus
  • Photographs
  • A Security Declaration
  • Written confirmation of expected mileage
  • A Utility Bill
  • Further documentation (occasionally requested to support the policy)

Unfortunately this additional paperwork does generate more work for you and us, but ultimately our customers benefit from our stringent quality control of new policies. This allows us to accurately underwrite the policy and provide correct cover and pricing, particularly should new information come to light of which we were unaware.

Over the years we have successfully negotiated large discounts for our customers and have only been able to do this because of the quality of the business we provide to our insurer partners. It is vital that we protect these discounts enabling us to continue offering our customers fantastic prices on great products. This is why we have to ask for copies of the various documents we have listed.

A few minutes of your time sending us the documents we have requested will therefore allow us to continue offering some of the most competitive rates found anywhere in the UK insurance market.

Agreed value forms are not essential to your policy. Without them, the policy will proceed on a 'market value' basis. Therefore it is beneficial for you to provide the forms, but the policy would not be cancelled if you do not send them. If you have been asked for more than one of the following, we require both (or all) of the forms in order to proceed with the agreed value. Photos - If we have asked for photos of the vehicle, they should be taken square on to the vehicle and make sure it is completely in shot. The Insurers need to be able to see the complete vehicle in order to agree the value you have requested. We also require shots of the engine bay and the interior. For some bigger vehicles, such as motorcaravans, it is better to take more than one picture of the interior. The photos also need to be of good quality with the vehicle clearly visible (for example, no disruption on the photo or no glare). Agreed Value Form - This is to be completed by you, and needs to be fully completed in order for the Insurers to agree the value you have requested. In the top section, make sure that all of the sections are completed. If they are not relevant, please write 'n/a' in the space provided. In the middle section, you need to specify the condition of various parts of the vehicle, and also detail any modifications and restoration work that the vehicle has had. Independent Valuation - This is to be provided by an independent source, such as an owners club. It should be on headed paper and state clearly who has provided the valuation and their qualifications.
Unfortunately as the main driver is the policyholder the forms need to be signed by them as this is who the agrement with the Insurer and ourselves is being taken out by.
Ensure that you read the agreement thoroughly. If you complete the boxes with your card details, the balance of your agreement will be taken should you default on your payments. The form also explains that the policy will be automatically renewed next year, and that we would tell you the payment amount at least 21 days prior to your renewal.
The modified vehicle report form will only need both the engine number and chassis number if there are engine modifications. If this is not the case then you can supply just either the engine number or the chassis.
You only need to provide a copy of your driving licence - please do not send the original. You should make a copy of the counterpart section, and the front and back of the photocard. If you have the 'old style' licence, please simply copy the whole sheet.

Correspondence should be forwarded to Coplus:

HIC Motor Claims
Floor 2
Norfolk Tower
48-52 Surrey Street

The mileage given has to be as accurate as possible so that we can keep a record of the mileage used within an insurance year. If you cannot provide an accurate reading for this then you may be asked to produce copies of your MOT certificates.
If we have sent you a mileage declaration, your policy has been arranged on a limited mileage basis. You need to provide the mileage of the vehicle from the beginning of the policy, and will be asked to provide the closing mileage when the policy renews or lapses. Should you change your vehicle during the policy, we would require the closing mileage on your original vehicle, and the starting mileage on the new vehicle. We would then calculate the mileage for both vehicles when the policy renews.
The modified vehicle report form should be completed with all modifications to your vehicle. Ensure that you do tell us ALL modifications, as any non-disclosures could mean that a claim does not get dealt with, or extra premium is added to your policy. In extreme cases the Insurers could null and void your policy. Ensure that you complete the engine and chassis number, as your Insurers require these. Please also ensure that you sign and date the form on the second page.
If we have asked you for this, a discount would have been allowed on your policy because you are a member of an owners club. If you have a membership card, please provide a copy of this. If you don't have a card, you can provide the name of the club, the membership number and the expiry date. If you are a member of an online club, we would preferably need an email from the administrator of the club to confirm you are a member, which states your full name.
If your policy requires a certain level of security you would have been told this at the time of the quotation. A lot of vehicles have security fitted as standard; so if this is the case, tick the box on the form that states this. All you then need to do is sign and date the form. If your security is not standard to the vehicle, we would need you to complete the make and model of the security device. If you have a certificate of fitment, you could also send a copy of this in for our records. A Thatcham approved device may be needed - if you are not sure if your device is, you can contact us and we will be able to tell you. A Thatcham Category 2 device is an immobilising system; a Thatcham Category 1 device is an immobilising system with a linked alarm.
You can pay in full by any of these cards: Visa, Delta, Mastercard, Switch/Maestro or Solo. You can also take advantage of our credit plan by paying a deposit and spread the balance over 9 months by a direct debit from your bank account. This is subject to terms and conditions and credit checks may be required. Unfortunately we are unable to accept cheques.

Comprehensive cover is the highest level of cover that you can get for your car and any damages and injuries arising from it. It usually goves you all risks protection but comprehensive policies differ a lot from provider to provider, so it's advisable to check the policy details. Some insurance policies cover accidental and windscreen damage, personal belongings and audio equipments or a courtesy car, but others keep premiums low by sticking to the basics. Comprehensive cover is recommended for cars for over £1,000 in value and is essential for cars worth over £5,000. New cars bought on finance have to have fully comprehensive insurance. Usually it covers:

  • Injuries to other people, including passengers
  • Damage to other people's property
  • Accidents caused by your passengers
  • Liability arising from the use of a caravan or trailer, while attached to the car
  • Fire damage and/or theft of your vehicle
  • Accidental damage to your own car
  • Personal accident benefit - certain amounts are paid in the event of the death or permanent disablement of the policyholder (and sometimes his or her spouse of family member)
  • Medical expenses necessarily incurred, up to a stated limit
  • Loss of or damage to personal belongings in the insured car, up to a stated limit
Some of our policies provide an extension allowing you to use your vehicle whilst taking part in a marshalled track day for non-competitive events.
Most insurers include a maximum period for use abroad at no extra charge, the maximum is normally 90 days per period of insurance. Please note that whilst you are abroad your Insurers provide a reduced level of cover and not all of the policy cover/benefits are included. Cover is not available for all countries.
Legal Expenses cover is always a benefit as although you may know a solicitor they may not specialise in Uninsured Loss Recovery. They would also possibly charge you for their assistance. The legal cover with your HIC policy is free of charge.
In respect of each qualifying accident the sum of £100,000 for claims reported from 4th October 2010. Prior to this date the sum was £50,000 for each qualifying accident.
All alterations to your vehicle since it left the manufacturers production line are treated as a modification. We specialise in insuring vehicles that have been modified and most modifications are acceptable, and many without any extra charge.

Third party insurance is the minimum level of car insurance required by law in the UK. It is the cheapest option and only covers you for liabilities to other vehicles if you cause an accident. It usually covers:

  • Injuries to other people, including passengers
  • Damage to other people's property
  • Accidents caused by your passengers
  • Liability arising from the use of a caravan or trailer, while attached to the car

Third party fire and theft insurance works like third party but includes protection for your vehicle against any losses through fire and theft. It usually covers:

  • Injuries to other people, including passengers
  • Damage to other people's property
  • Accidents caused by your passengers
  • Liability arising from the use of a caravan or trailer, while attached to the car
  • Loss in the event of theft of your vehicle
  • Damage to your vehicle in the event of fire
This is not automatically included and you will need to check your Certificate of Motor Insurance to see if this extension has been provided. This extension of cover provides you with only limited cover and is provided by the Insurer for emergency purposes only. This extension of cover provides you with Third Party Only cover to drive another car that is not owned or registered to you, or on loan to you, or on hire to you. Also this extension only applies to the Policy Holder and not to any of the named drivers.
An Agreed Value is available on Classic, Collectable or Modified Vehicles. Depending on the vehicle's condition the listed market value may not reflect the value that could then be reached if you were to sell the vehicle. If you have an agreed value and your vehicle is a total loss, then any offer will be based on the certified value rather than market value. For all agreed value policies, you will be required to supply several photographs and receipts of parts and labour costs for the work that has been done on your vehicle. We will review this and if agreeable we will issue you with an agreed valuation certificate.

There are a number of discounts that could be available to you, they are:

  • Limiting your annual mileage
  • Inclusion of a voluntary excess - this will be in addition to any other excess
  • If you have a Thatcham alarm/immobiliser or tracking device
  • Restrict the driving to yourself or named drivers over 25
We usually suggest you either contact the previous owner or dealer as they may have fitted it, or take the car to a garage to see if they can find the make and model.

In order that we can process your application we will need to following:

  • Your registration number
  • Your payment method including your bank sort code and account number
  • Details of your previous insurer including their name and policy number
  • Your current mileage reading